Council House from Braşov, an important architectural monument, was initially only a watch tower, whose bases were the ones on the current tower.
On December 23, 1420, an agreement was reached between the Barsa County Assembly and the Breasla Făgăraş Assembly on the Construction of the House of Advice. This document mentions that representatives of the Braşov Branches Association have allowed the nine communes of the Barsa Province to build a room for “giving justice” and for magistrates ‘sessions above the barracks’ vendor.
Although, because of the Turkish invasion in 1421 and the distruction of the city and the arrest of the magistrate of the city, the project was postponed.
Due to the development of the city, the building turned into a town hall. Thus, the following mention of the Council House from Brasov appears in 1503, and it is referred to as “Praetorium”.
The construction has seen many changes over the years, many of them because of the destruction of natural events:
- July 5, 1608 – a stumbling block strikes the Tower of the Council House; the fire could not be extinguished until wine, vinegar, and milk had been poured into the fire;
- June 17, 1662 – an earthquake strongly affects the House of Advice; the tower would collapse at a rate of two-thirds;
- July 24, 1682 – a powerful storm hits the “trumpet tower” again (called like that because a trumpeter announces the passing of each hour);
- April 21, 1689 – the great fire (caused by the Habsburg forces that asediate the city) destroys much of the building. After almost a century, in 1780, the House of Advice was reconstructed, in Baroque style, and it was almost completed in the form we know today. At the same time, on the front loggia, the coat of arms of Braşov was added.
The administration of the building moves from the building in 1876, in a new building located at the intersection of the streets of the Republic and Mihail Sadoveanu.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the Council House was demolished and replaced with a modern administrative building. This was only avoided due to a strong press campaign for keeping the old historical monument. The last architectural change of the House of Advice took place in the years 1909-1910, when the baroque roof was replaced by the current pyramidal roof with colored tiles. Since 1950 the building is also the County Museum of History.